Drawing Breath: A Serial Novel

Charles Dickens did it in magazines. Stephen King did it with The Green Mile. I’m very excited to announce that now I’m doing it: publishing a novel in serial installments, which you will be able to download to your favorite electronic device.

In Drawing Breath, sixteen-year-old Caitlin Kelly wants to be an abstract painter, and wants to learn from her crush-worthy upstairs neighbor, Daniel Benedetto. An artist in his mid-thirties, Daniel suffers from cystic fibrosis, a chronic and often debilitating disease that usually kills by age twenty. Although he’s on borrowed time, with a sister who frets over his every move, he longs to live as normal a life as he can. And if Caitlin’s mother agrees, that may include taking the girl on as a private student. Whether that’s a generous act of mentoring or a recipe for disaster remains to be seen.

I’m looking forward to sharing this tale of literary suspense with you. Chapter One is now available for Kindle at Amazon.com. Chapter Two should be up by the end of this week. Installments will appear monthly (or so) after that.

Nook version to come, as well as fantastic cover art from my favorite illustrator.

About laurieboris

Writer, editor, proofreader, stand-up comedian in another life.

12 Responses to Drawing Breath: A Serial Novel

1. JenD says:

So exciting! Unfortunately, I don’t have a Kindle or a Nook. :(

2. PeabeaPeabea says:

Loading the free Amazon Kindle on my phone to see if I can get your Chapter One and if it works. Kindle for Amazon is a free app on my Android and also Nook from B&N, which just one of the reasons I love my Droid and makes it worth the cost.

3. PeabeaPeabea says:

Yay…it worked great.

4. I’m very interested to read this. I am a 24 year old woman with cystic fibrosis and I appreciate that you are raising awareness for the disease by writing about it. I will have to download the first chapter ASAP.

5. JenD says:

I just downloaded the first 2 chapters on my shiny, new (though secondhand) Kindle!

6. JenD says:

I just finished reading Chapter 1 (because, dingbat that I am, I read Chapter 2 first. BTW, it works either way). I think I mistakenly assumed the chapter listed first on my Kindle was the first one. I’ll get the hang of it yet.

More importantly, I’m really digging the story so far. I like how clearly drawn your characters are and I’m intrigued to see how the rest unfolds. When’s Chapter 3 going up?

7. laurieboris says:

Cool that it works either way! Chapter 3 will go up in a few weeks…

8. JenD says:

Cool! Looking forward to it.