1. If you had a chance to talk to one of the characters in The Call, which one would it be and what would you say to him or her?
2. Did the story affect you personally in any way? Did it help you understand someone a little better, maybe even yourself?
3. Pat Oblonsky tries to discourage Margie from pursuing a career as an umpire. Do you think she might have reacted differently if Margie’s twin brother Tim had come to her with the same career ambition?
4. The Call takes place in the early 1980s. Do you think the story might be different if Margie were trying to become an umpire today? In your opinion, would anything be easier? Or harder?
5. If you were in Margie’s shoes and thought that a player was cheating, what would you do? Do you think she made the right choice? If Tim wasn’t in the game, do you think she might have chosen differently?
6. In trying to push Margie to improve her umpiring skills, do you think Wes oversteps any boundaries? Why or why not?
7. Do the characters seem believable to you? Do they remind you of anyone you know?
8. Do you think pursuing such a competitive field at the same time as your twin is an advantage or a disadvantage? Why or why not?
9. If you could hear the story from another character’s point of view, which one would you choose and why?
10. What do you think will happen next for Margie? If you were to write a sequel, where do you imagine her going?